Top talent turns down Petter Northug’s team offer

by Ingeborg Scheve • 18.05.2025
Casper Petter
The 21-year-old from Norway is the second cross-country skiing talent to turn down an offer from Petter Northug this week.

The 21-year-old from Norway is the second cross-country skiing talent to turn down an offer from Petter Northug this week.

The young athlete from Byaasen Ski Club finished a strong seventh place in the 50km race at the Norwegian Championships part 2 at Hovden, in his first year as a senior. There, he beat Jan Thomas Jenssen by over a minute and former World Champion in the 50km Pål Golberg by almost two minutes in extremely tough conditions. After the season, Casper Kvam Grindhagen was offered a place on Petter Northug’s Ski Classics Pro Team: Team Burger King Northug.

But the skiing talent declined Northug’s offer. He prefers to continue skiing for the Norwegian Ski Association’s regional team, Team Elon Midt-Norge.

“I declined to become a long-distance skier, even though it’s something I think I would have enjoyed. But it feels sad to give up the dream of becoming an allround skier already at 21 years old. I think that’s a bit cowardly. That’s why I said no to Petter, Grindhagen told Adresseavisen.

Grindhagen is one of ten skiers on Team Elon Midt-Norge for the upcoming season.

Also Read: Team Elon Midt-Norge for season 2025/2026

Solid results list

The Byaasen skier has won several medals at the Junior Norwegian Championships, placed fifth in the sprint at the 2023 Junior World Championships, and was also part of the squad for last year’s Junior Worlds.

In addition to the seventh place in the 50km Norwegian Championship race, Grindhagen finished 63rd at the Birkebeinerrennet, just behind notable Ski Classics stars such as Petter Stakston from Team Aker Dæhlie and Joar Thele from Team Burger King Northug.

Northug struggles to sign skiers

Grindhagen is the second skier to reject the former skiing king’s offer in favor of a place on the Norwegian Ski Association’s regional team, and one of at least three who have said no in recent weeks.

On Tuesday, U23 world champion Mathias Holbæk committed to another season with Team Elon SørVest (formerly Elon Vest). He had also been offered a spot on Petter Northug’s long-distance team.

The 22-year-old from Vindbjart has three individual gold medals from the U23 World Championships and took second place in the skiathlon at the Norwegian Championships at Gåsbu, where he came close to taking gold from Harald Østberg Amundsen.

Read More: Team Elon SørVest for season 2025/2026

Mathias Holbæk won three gold medals at the U23 World Championships in Schilpario this winter, rejecting an offer for a place on Petter Northug’s professional team. Photo: Newspower.it

Mysen says no too

The skier Eirik Mysen was not tempted by Petter Northug’s offer either. The 31-year-old from Team Bygdø took bronze in the 10km race at the Norwegian Championships, a second place and a win in the Norwegian Cup, and was selected for the World Cup in Holmenkollen. He confirms that he was in talks with Northug about a contract with the Pro Team.

“It was a bit unclear whether Petter and Burger King would have an allround team. We had dialogue, but when it became clear that it wasn’t the case, it was no longer relevant,” Mysen said.

He will continue his allround career with the private team Team Bygdø.

Eirik Mysen was selected to run the 20km classic during the World Cup in Holmenkollen in March. Photo: Marius Simensen/BILDBYRÅN

Are you interested in traditional cross-country skiing? Click HERE and read more about it.

Show sharing buttons

Subscribe to our newsletter

Most read

  • Guro
    1

    Skier Guro Jordheim among victims of Hemsedal avalanche

    by ProXCskiing.com
    09.04.2026
  • poles technique
    1

    Technique expert warns: “For every centimeter of incorrect pole length, you lose time”

    by Ingeborg Scheve/Translated by Katerina Paul
    04.03.2026
  • Iivo Niskanen
    1

    Fischer claimed he was too expensive – Now the truth is revealed

    by Ingeborg Scheve
    12.05.2026
  • Ebba Andersson
    1

    Behind the Olympic gold: Struggles in silence

    by Ingeborg Scheve
    10.04.2026
  • Iversen
    1

    Norwegian cross-country skiing team confirmed for the 2026 Winter Olympics

    by Leandro Lutz
    20.01.2026

More Articles

  • French Calderini

    Two new faces in the French World Cup training group: Cullet Calderini and Correia

    A former biathlete and a FESA Cup champion, Victor Cullet Calderini and Mattéo Correia are the two newcomers in the French World Cup training group for the 2026/2027 season.
    by Mattis Basille
    17.05.2026
  • Bjørndalen could become IBU president

    by Ingeborg Scheve
    17.05.2026
  • Norwegian coaching legend takes on historic turnaround

    by Ingeborg Scheve
    17.05.2026
  • Canadian cross-country skiing teams for season 2026/2027

    by Leandro Lutz
    17.05.2026
  • Olympic star hospitalized: “Scary”

    by Ingeborg Scheve
    16.05.2026